Saturday, November 19, 2011

Up to 6 bottle feeds a day!

Last night, my mom and I stopped by the hospital after we left Broadmoor Arts and Crafts Show so I could feed Kade at 6.  He did great. He didn't eat AS good as he did earlier in the day, but I am confident with a little practice from him and me and we should have this down in no time!  He is determined and so am I! 

I did talk to the Neonatologist this morning and he said that he is very happy with Kade's progress. I couldn't help but hear the surprise in his voice.  I am sure that will be for the rest of our journey here. We will be shocking people left and right with Kade's progress and determination to be the best he can be. :)

They are going to up his feeds to 6 bottle feeds a day, so he will have bottle, bottle, feeding tube.  He said we will just see how he does. He did say that Kade is not out of the woods yet for the surgery.  He said that since he is prone to sickness, he would hate to have him go home without it and he get sick and congested and can't eat or when we up his amount and he just get too burnt out to finish his bottle and he not have the tube.  Unfortunately, I have to agree. As much as we would like for him to be able to leave the NICU taking all his feeds, we are brought back to the fact that he is still taking less than two ounces and by the time he finishes that, he is sooooo tired, poor baby! So, when we up his formula, it will be harder for him and the idea of having a "backup plan" really doesn't sound like a bad idea in the grand scheme of things.

If they decide to do the surgery, it will more than likely be Tuesday. From what I understand, it is a 45 min procedure and it may take him a couple hours to a day to come off the vent, depending on if he is breathing on his own.  For his last surgery, he came right off the vent shortly after the surgery, so we are hoping that wouldn't be a problem. His recovery is 3-4 days and after that, it is pretty much just making sure mom and DAD are trained on taking care of him. Josh hasn't fed him yet. He says he wants me trained first, then I can teach him......ummm...ok......  :) We will talk to the surgeon on Monday and find out the real deal of what the plan is.  I am just confident that she will make the right call on the best plan for Kade. We only want what HE needs, not what makes life more peaceful for us.  It would be piece of mind for the feeding tube, but another surgery that could be avoided is pretty good too...so whatever.

We are headed out the door to see him now. I have to feed him at 3.  Wish me luck! 

xoxo
G

2 comments:

  1. You know, since I have now bookmarked your blog on my phone, I am addicted to staying current with the updates!!! I hope Kade Michael is a technical genius like his daddy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates!! So proud of you and Kade.

    ReplyDelete