Tonight Josh and I had to attend a CPR class that is required before Kade is able to leave the NICU. Not a bad thing for sure! Prior to going, we went to visit Kade. His nurse, Mark, asked me if I wanted to feed him and I really didn't since the experience was so bad this morning, but I know I need the practice so I did. Mark said we would take a different approach than OT did this morning. He said they are a little to conservative for Kade and his movement. Considering he has Downs and is supposed to have low muscle tone, he is very strong and it makes it very hard to feed him. In order to feed him, you have to physically hold his jaw from opening too wide so he can eat and it is really hard!
Anyways, Mark showed me "his" idea of how we should feed him and believe it or not, HE ATE THE WHOLE BOTTLE AND I FED IT TO HIM!!!!! I was soooooooooooo excited. I refused to quit until he finished because I knew he could do it and he was trying to give up when he had 5cc left and I refused! haa! He always wants to go to sleep on that last little bit.
So we had a great visit with him tonight, and after the CPR class we went back and he was so alert and smiling. We talked to him and visited for a while and then I rocked him until he was sound asleep and put him in his bed for the night.
I can now rest easy knowing he is progressing and I was able to do something for him that he needed!
Yay! I am happy for both of you and thank you for keeping us updated with your new blog!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Glad you had a great end to your day. Love the blog!
ReplyDeleteOkay...so we are moving up in the world...blogs!!
ReplyDeleteAnyway...Gretchen, you are a smart and courageous girl...(woman)!I have seen your determination and no matter how it looks or feels, you can and will get it! God have him to you and HE knows all about you! I am thankful to have you as mine! I am proud of you both!I love you & always here for you! Just remember...Sybil is the # 1grandma
You are so crazy!!! Lol
ReplyDeleteLove y'all too
So THANFUL ! Praying for y'all !
ReplyDelete