Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Surgery tomorrow....

There isn't a whole lot to report that is new. Kade had a good night. His nurse said that he did open his eyes once and moved his legs so she gave him some medicine to make him more comfortable. She did say that when he opened his eyes, he did not look like he was in any pain which is good. His blood counts look good, blood gasses look good, some type of count that show how septic he is went up (I think...hard to remember all this medical stuff when They say it)which is good. Means his infection is getting better.

They have decreased his reliance on the vent to try to make him breathe a little on his own. They are also going to decrease the amount of pain meds but still make sure he is comfortable.

He will have surgery again tomorrow to put in a broviac which is a more permanent IV line. It will go straight to an artery. Probably in his neck...yikes.

We were able to sleep in a bonding room last night. It is a room where you typically go prior to discharge and sleep a couple nights with your baby to make sure you know how to care for them. A nurse is on standby if you need them, etc. Can't help but think we were supposed to be doing this probably next week. :((( that is the hardest part about this whole thing....they talked to me Saturday about us being close to going home so we needed to go take this class that is required. 5 hours later this whoe thing took such a turn for the worse.

Anyway, Josh and I slept here last night and it was so nice being right there by him. We could go check on him as much as we wanted. Oddly enough, when I laid my head on the pillow, I didn't move until 8:30 this morning. I guess the piece of mind allowed me to sleep. I knew I was close to him so I was able to rest easy. I hadn't slept but 2 or 3 hours the night before...so I think Josh and j really needed our rest.

We have to ween ourselves out of here. We do have another child that we miss and she misses us very much. It is so difficult being torn between two kids and sending your first baby off each night to be shuffled around. After this next surgery, we will have to break away, but it will be hard.

Well, thank you all for your awesome prayer circles, thoughts, food sent, etc. We are soo soo soo lucky to have such a great group of people surrounding us and couldn't do it without any if you! We love you all very much!

Xoxo
G

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the updates Gretchen. Havn't stopped praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for updating!!! I hate to keep asking how he's doing bc I know how busy ya'll are. Just know that we are continually praying for him and YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete