Thursday, December 15, 2011
Nightly update and audiology update
Just spoke to Kade's nurse. She was the same one from last night. Apparently Kade slept all night except for around 5am this morning when he decided to try to break into his broviac (central line in his chest that is bandaged all up so he can't get into it). Funniest part is... They keep mitts on him because he tends to be a tube snatcher, but when they got to him, they had to change the whole dressing out. Lol... That boy!!
Anyways, for today, they have increased feeds like I said in the last post. His output has been good and not dumping. He seems to be slowly but surely tolerating the feeds and they up them every other day. The doc said they may increase his calorie intake as well to help him gain weight, but he had a good weight gain today. He weighs 8lbs 6.9oz. He is becoming a little piglet. Thank God!
The audiologist talked to the nurse and they said even if he did have hearing loss, they wouldn't be able to do anything until after they repaired all the cleft stuff (10mths at the earliest)... She said a lot of times they put tubes and remove the fluid, etc when they repair the cleft. She said he probably does have a lot of fluid in his ears, but it does no good to remove it, bc it will come right back. She also said even if he couldn't hear, they could do the cochlea implant and then he would be able to hear. That amazes me that they could make a deaf person hear, but they can't fix his stomach back to how it was.
So at least there was an answer of some sort, even if it wasn't what we thought. That nurse has been with Kade a lot and said she thinks he can hear certain frequencies bc when a monitor goes off or they use the bar code scanner, he opens his eyes and turns to it but if I talk directly in his ear when he is dozing off or sleeping, here is ZERO response. So let's just pray it's fluid!!!
We attended Kenli's first Christmas play tonight. Her class sang jingle bells. She was so cute, but Hunter STOLE the show.. He decided to dance his little butt off and even shake his head like he was almost head banging at one point. He sang the loudest as well. Kenli laughed at him singing during the song too which made it sooo funny! They had such a good time! I have it on video, but low quality probably. We did skip out rather early, bc everyone on Earth was there and I certainly didn't want to face 5,000 questions when they dismissed everyone. I haven't gone to Plaq Wal-Mart in 8 weeks yet even. I'm a hermit!! (I did go one time for 2 mins to get a pack of pork chops). I gotta face the music soon though, I know.
We have a full day of class party, hospital visit, then I'm getting hunter and Ken to do a gingerbread house (wth was I thinking. Lol I am so not crafty). Then Jamie and I are taking them to port Allen to play in the "snow". I wish they would have had play snow when we were kids!!
So, it'll be a full day. Josh works tomorrow so probably won't update till late late unless I can at lunch. :)
Thanks for the prayers and please continue to pray for Kammy. She is having another MAJOR surgery tomorrow to repair the last atresia in her stomach (like Kade had for the first surgery...) they thought she had one when they did the surgery this week but she had 14 & could only fix 13. #14 was the worst I guess and they had to form a plan for it. So please keep that sweet baby in your prayers!
Thx so much!!
Xoxo
G
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Poor little Kade, maybe he is getting bored with just laying around and just figured he would give the nurses more work. Yes, sounds like you have a FULL day ahead. Hope you and Kenli have fun.
ReplyDelete