Friday, February 17, 2012

I'm ready to gooooooooooo!!!

As the title says....I'm ready to gooo!! (I think)  As much as I want him to come home asap, I know he is where he needs to be and getting the care he needs.  Another baby in his room went home today.  She had been there since August. I was glad that she finally got released, but like always, we are watching people come and go.  Kade is now the big boy on campus. He has been there the longest in the Playhouse (there are 4 babies total in there).  He does get the best view and best room in there, so I guess we can say he is privledged.  He loves to stare at the parking garage lights when they come on at dark. He stares so hard and looks like he is in very deep thought.

Today he did ok with his cereal and took a very small amount from his bottle. They woke him up to do this, so he wasn't very interested.  Yesterday, he did much better!  He took about 10 bites of cereal and was doing so good, we decided to try a bottle. He took the 10cc bottle perfectly which isn't a lot, but such a great start!!

Weight:  I am convinced that Kade is just messing around with us on this whole weight thing. I last reported that he finally hit 10lbs.  Well, that day he was 10.06lbs.  The next day he was 9.15, then last night he lost 60g....that is 2 ounces.  I was so confused as to why.  He is NO WHERE near dumping (thank GOD), he is tolerating his feeds great, his TPN has extra calories in it to help gain weight, and he had extra cereal and bottle....so yea, why would he lose weight?? Who knows...but after I thought about it for almost 24 hours, I called tonight and the nurse said he gained 100g!! WOOHOOO!!! I think that puts him at 10.08 which is now back on track! The added more glucose to his TPN today, so that should beef him up as well.

Yesterday was probably the sweetest day that I saw Kade.  He started chuckling! It is soooo adorable! I managed to catch him doing it on video, but not NEAR as good as he did it before. He sounds like a little horse! haahaa





I also wanted to revisit something because it has come to my attention that some people are still kinda confused on all the terminology I use for Kade, so I'll try to break it all down so it's easier to understand.

TPN/lipids: This is what Kade is on right now that is basically IV fluids that are full of sugars, vitamins, fat, and other nutrients that he needs in order to gain weight. He has to stay on TPN until he is able to tolerate the full amount of his feeding without dumping.
Dumping: Kind of what you would expect, but in babies with the condition Kade has now they call it that because it means he is not tolerating feeds.  He basically has water diarrhea to the point that it is basically the acids in your stomach bc he is not able to keep food in his belly.  His stomach isn't able to tolerate and he  "dumps" it right back out.
Continuous feeds: this means that there is a tube filled with formula connected to his feeding tube that he just got put in and it continuously pumps formula in his belly.  This is around the clock 24/7 because his stomach could not handle the bolus feeds.
Bolus feeds:  When you are not on continuous and you eat on a schedule like a normal baby except when it is time to feed, you hook a syringe up to the feeding tube, pour the formula in and literally watch it go in. It takes a total of 1 min if he isn't crying. Much easier than feeding a baby with no stomach issues. not too bad....

I think that is all.  If you have a question on another one, just comment here.

Thanks! hopefully I can update tomorrow...
G

2 comments:

  1. I love the videos. He looks like he is doing so great! He certainly hears every sound you make bc he is mimicking them! What a sweet little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was cleaning my work bag, and was so happy to find your blog info.!! Miss y'all so much!! Kade is such a big boy!! And still more adorable than ever!! Love the videos!! Won't be back until March 20th, hope we can talk before then!! My email is the same as my name on here @hotmail.com. Give Kade a big hug from me!!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete